Below is a sample packing list and will give you a good idea for what to pack as a delegate for the session at Rider.
• Bedding (blanket, pillow, and sheets - regular twin size bed)
• Towels, wash cloths
• Toiletries (including soap, shampoo, razor, shaving cream, toothpaste and deodorant, etc.)
• 3-4 pair "Dress" / "Khaki" style shorts
• Optional - 1-2 pair any color dress slacks/ "Khaki" style pants (green, navy, black, beige, white, khaki).
• 6-7 pair undergarments and socks for the week
• Shoes: 1-2 pairs casual dress shoes, 1 pair sneakers
• Sports clothes - shorts and shirts
• Sports equipment: baseball glove or tennis racket (all other equipment provided by ALJBS for basketball, softball, flag football, soccer, volleyball, ultimate frisbee and tennis)
• Swimming trunks and flip-flop/sandals (if you would like to use the pool during recreation/ sports time - only available for open swim [no competitions or sports])
• Should you choose to bring any food, only bring small quantities of non-perishable snacks (peanuts, trail mix, energy bars)
• Alarm clock
• Notepad, pens, pencils are recommended
• Enough spending money for a few souvenirs, snacks and soft drinks. About $40 - $60 will cover the essentials. Souvenirs may be bought at the Rider University Book Store. All delegates will be responsible for safeguarding their own money during the session.
• Raincoat, poncho or umbrella is recommended
• Small fan and flashlight OR small lamp are recommended
• Band Instrument - if you plan to play in the ALJBS Band
• The packet of material mailed to you prior to the week of Boys State that includes your Boys State Manual (Blue Book)
• Your Medical Form (notarized if possible) containing your doctor's signature certifying your physical fitness
• Samsung Scholarship Application (if applying) and all necessary documentation
Each delegate will be provided one Boys State shirt, free of charge, at registration. One other shirt may be purchased for $15 at registration; If you need to, you
can purchase more shirts later in the week at the Boys State store. Because of this, it is not necessary to bring many shirts to Boys State.
A Boys State shirt must be worn at all times when not in dormitories. A colored County Boys State sports shirt will be provided to each delegate for county
elections and recreation periods (shorts and sneakers may also be worn during these times), delegates must wear their Boys State sports shirts to the fields for
purposes of identification with the ALJBS program and for participation in athletic events.
Also, do not bring any large radios. It is also highly recommended that delegates do not bring any hi-tech electronic equipment, e.g., MP3 players, hand held video games, etc.